Chemical poisons and toxins
Modern Western life styles mean we are inevitably exposed to chemicals - the following is a check list to skim through:
- sheep dipping,
- spraying agricultural chemicals (farming, market gardening),
- being sprayed by tractor or helicopter and spray drift (adjacent homes),
- insect control “squeeta betas”,
- contamination of water supplies,
- working in a chicken farm (fumigation, control of parasites),
- working in the sea of factory farmed salmon in Scotland (where chemicals are used to control fish lice),
- repeated head lice treatments,
- house fumigations for flea control or bed bugs,
- insect control in hot countries with DDT, OPs etc,
- control of sand flies (Gulf War Syndrome),
- greenhouse fumigations,
- working in a research plant centre where chemicals were weekly used to prevent cross contamination,
- ‘A’ level student doing a biology project with pesticides,
- carpet factory where fleeces are washed after sheep have been dipped,
- lorry driver delivering OPs to farmers,
- Government Inspectors in sheep markets,
- dairy farmers daily exposed to OPs for fly control in the milking parlour,
- poisoning through exposure to dumped cans of sheep dip,
- welders working in a factory which was manufacturing OPs, timber treatments in houses,
- treatment of external parasites in dogs, cats, cows (OP pour ons) and so on,
- firefighters poisoned by burning chemicals,
- formaldehyde leaking from cavity wall insulation
- flower industry (lots of chemicals on flowers),
- timber treatments and handling treated timbers,
- airline pilots exposed to organophosphates used in engine oils (which allow oils to work at high temperatures) please see Aerotoxic Association
- cabin staff on airplanes using pesticides to prevent inadvertent import of foreign insects,
- DDT used to treat infestations (possibly misdiagnosed as polio).
Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
- Poisoning from un-burnt hydrocarbons such as oil, gas, coal and wood. Free standing gas heaters are a particular hazard! These poisonings goes under the misnomer carbon mon-oxide poisoning. Actually the carbon monoxide is just a small part of the problem – yes – this certainly causes acute symptoms, but the long term poisoning arises from the toxic VOCs from unburnt hydrocarbons!
- Aerotoxic syndrome – this arises because cabin air is pulled in over the engines and possibly contaminated with unburnt fuel and organophosphates used as oil improvers. See www.aerotoxic.com
- Vehicle exhaust fumes
- Solvents used in carpets – new carpets are particularly pernicious! This together with poor ventilation is probably the main cause of sick building syndrome.
- Printing inks
- Cleaning agents - bleach
- Disinfectants – these often include formaldehyde or other such related compounds.
- Sterilising agents – “Milton”
- Cosmetics – many are toxic especially hair dyes
- Mercury from dental amalgam is the biggest single problem!
- Nickel we often see blocking biological enzymes (from stainless steel saucepans, jewelry)
- Vaccinations are a mixture of heavy metals with viral/bacterial particles and I see many cases of CFS following vaccination
- Lead, cadmium antimony, arsenic
- Depleted uranium in the Gulf War Veterans
- Lymphocyte sensitivity to metals and chemicals
- Fat biopsy for pesticides or Volatile Organic Compounds
- Homo Sapiens Chemicalis - Natural Selection of the Fittest by chemicals
- Do A Good Chemical Clean-Up: chemicals make you fat and fatigued!
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) - a common problem and often triggered by exposure to chemicals
- Allergy to Foods, Inhalants & Chemicals - signs and symptoms of
- Transcriptome profile analysis reflects rat liver and kidney damage following chronic ultra-low dose Roundup exposure - Essentially this paper concludes that the most widely used pesticide in Western agriculture causes mitochondrial damage at even miniscule doses. Initially this manifests with liver and kidney damage, which is not surprising given that these organs are metabolically highly active. But what about the brain, heart and Immune system which are all greatly demanding of energy too?
- Natural Resources Defence Council - If you have any doubts about what I am saying, have a look at this wonderful website!
- A Generation in Jeopardy - How pesticides are undermining our children’s health & intelligence A report published by the Pesticide Action Network North America in October 2012
- Aerotoxic Association
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339