B12 vitamin levels
|Test Details for Ordering|
|Test||B12 vitamin levels|
|To order this test, please, go to Ordering Tests. |
Please, make sure you have read When not to use this website to ascertain whether having this test is an appropriate and safe course of action for you.
The test measures levels of vitamin B12 in serum.
I do not usually recommend checking B12 levels in chronic fatigue syndrome patients because in most cases they benefit from B12 by injection even if the levels are "normal" (see CFS and B12). However, it is worth checking levels in someone who does not have CFS, but who wants to make sure that all his systems are functioning at the optimum level. This would be a useful test as part of a disease prevention screen. (See Disease prevention).
I would also prescribe B12, regardless of serum levels, in anyone with poor antioxidant status or with neurological or neuro-psychological problems.
The kit for this test includes a gold topped blood tube, packaging materials for transporting the blood sample in the post, a request form and a pre-paid envelope.
- Make arrangements to have a blood sample taken
- Make sure that your name and date of birth are correct on the blood tube
- Make sure all the necessary details are correct on the laboratory request form.
- Post the samples in the packaging provided making sure that the laboratory request form is enclosed with the samples.
- Please note that there is an additional interpretation fee for my letter to your GP. See Ordering Tests for more details.